Tuesday, August 22, 2017

Kudos to Home Depot!

One day early in this month, I received an email from Home Depot requesting I call a certain number to set up for a job interview (I had applied online). I called the number via the Sprint Internet Relay, and went through the process. We eventually set up the interview for August 16th, and I was really looking forward to this interview!

Fast forward to the morning of Aug. 16. I quickly checked my emails, and noticed I had an email from Home Depot. Oh no! Oh wait... They wanted to reschedule my interview so they could have an interpreter on hand. Really? I didn't even request an interpreter. I guess because I called using the relay, they decided they should go ahead and call for an interpreter.  Ok, props to them. I appreciate their efforts! But I was disappointed that the interview had been postponed. I called the local Home Depot number and told them I appreciated their efforts, but I would be absolutely fine to do an interview without an interpreter on site. The person I spoke with said she would inform HR and that HR would take it from there.

Yesterday, I received another email, from HR. Apparently they were still trying to get a hold of an interpreter, and asked if I could wait until a later date, when this out of state interpreter would be available. I responded and said I would be happy with this date, but again, I do not need an interpreter. I explained that I have bilateral cochlear implants and get by without needing an interpreter. I mean, I do still struggle with the phone (it's more of a me issue, I.E. "did I hear this person right? huh?" and anxiety). When making phone calls, I still prefer to use the relay... it's handy to be able to read what is being said, and also be able to save the transcript after the call has ended, if needed. I know there are captioning apps (CapTel, InnoCaption), but it requires actually using my phone and then I would be paying extra on my cell bill (I only have the text and data plan, no voice plan added).

But seriously, kudos to Home Depot for going that extra step! All the other potential job interviews I've gone to in the past has never gone out of their way to accommodate me just for an interview. Normally, if I absolutely feel like I need interpreting or accommodations of some sort, I will request it, which is pretty rare for me to do outside of classes. I really absolutely do appreciate Home Depot's efforts though.

No comments: