Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Oh wow. The news of the meningitis outbreak in Oologah, Oklahoma has gotten to me. So far in the past week, 7 kids have contracted meningoccocal meningitis, and 2 of those kids have died. I am hoping that the other 5 victims get over this and get better as quickly as possible, with no lasting after-effects, and that no one else contracts the illness. Just thinking about this is making me sad right now.




In other news... I ordered the documentary "From Silence to Sound" from Amazon.com, and it arrived today (along with Seasons 2, 3 and 4 of ER). It's about 45 minutes long, about this deaf man from Oklahoma named Justin. He's been deaf all his life, and was the first person in the state of Oklahoma to get bilateral cochlear implants in March 2006. Was a very interesting DVD to watch, so I'm glad I bought it. The documentary is basically of Justin sharing his story of what his childhood was like, and of his experience getting the implants.

1 comment:

David said...

scary news about the outbreak. I had it in 2007 and was on life support, coma, then deaf and in hospital for 100 days.
I pray for those people