Friday, August 31, 2007

hearing and lipreading

Well, the other day while I was visiting with a very good deaf friend of mine, who also happens to be an interpreter... well, we got to talking about my "hearing" and "reading" skills. In order for me to HEAR and make sense of what is being said, I need to read lips and see the face...... And she was telling me that I am a horrible lip reader. "Really?!" I asked. "Well, yeah! Several times when I've interpreted for you, I used to drop my signs but continued to mouth, and you would always go 'huh?'" she says. "Really? I never realized that."


So, lo and behold, I tried this out tonight. My ear hurts and it hurts to wear the hearing aid, so why not just go deaf? I'm at work, going around deaf. I'm talking with a co-worker, while deaf. And she's talking back. I can see her face and her lips, but only catch maybe 1 or 2 words. Everything else I go "huh?" She repeated what she was saying 2 or 3 times and I still didn't get it.


Hm, I'll have to try this at home with my mom and see what happens. I never have realized before how bad a lip reader I am. If I can hear the words that are being said while I lipread at the same time, then I'm fine (most of the time). But turn off the voice, I'm lost. Or take away the visual and leave the voice, I'm lost.


I need both, or I'm screwed! I don't know, I just found this to be rather interesting. Definitely will have to try this at home with my mom when she gets back from her vacation, and with my stepdad and whoever else I can chase down.


By the way, when I go for the evaluation, should I mention this to the CI audiologist and see what she says? I don't know if I should or not. Hm.

No comments: