Thursday, January 21, 2010

fun with hearing aids

Today, before getting to work, I decided I'd play around with the different hearing aids I had with the Hatis Epic stilouette. With the Claro hearing aid, the volume is far too quiet. I even maxed out the volume on the iPod and had to resort to turning up the volume on the hearing aid as well, and it was still too quiet. Then I gave the loaner Unitron a try, and whoa the music sounded different, unusual. Then I dug out my purple Phonak Pico-Forte's. They still work! With the stilouette, the music sounded better (though a bit different), and the volume is better too. It's just a matter of making sure the microphone is next to the stilouette to get a better sound, and it's tricky to get them both sitting behind my ear just right. Hm... Already I miss my Supero!

Am considering making a new website for myself, in relation to my hearing loss and meningitis. I do have a webpage about my meningitis, except it doesn't mention much of my meningitis story. So, why not just make a whole new website and combine both meningitis and deaf stories and just have fun with it? Yep.

2 comments:

myspace.com/itsmewanda said...

THE REASON HEARING AIDES AND EVERYTHING ABOUT THEM SUCKS (BAD CHOICE OF WORDS)IS IT IS THE HEARING PEOPLE THAT MAKE THESE PRODUCTS.
THEY DO NOT UNDERSTAND AND THEY DO NOT LISTEN, THAT'S WHY THEY TEST ON ANIMALS, ANIMALS CAN'T TELL THEM IT DOESN'T WORK RIGHT OR THAT IT HURTS.THEY STILL END UP MAKING ALOT OF MONEY OFF OF US UNTIL SOMEONE SUES THEM.
My husband wore aides for 35 years, and only once did he have a good product that went in his ear that didn't hurt.
He is now totally deaf and hoping medicaid will approve his cochlear implant....

CDM said...

I don't think hearing aids completely suck. Once you come across the ones that work best and are programmed right, they can definitely help. I've done pretty well with hearing aids since I turned deaf at age 2. It's just nowadays, I'm having trouble hearing even with a powerful hearing aid so my next step is getting the left ear implanted. But I'm still going to keep the hearing aid in the right ear. Hearing aids will be different for each individual.