Thursday, December 13, 2012

ASL Silent Dinner

I went to an ASL Silent Dinner tonight, which one of the ASL instructor's put on at the On The Border restaurant. I've never been to this sort of thing before, so it was a first for me.  I've been wanting to socialize more, so thought this dinner would be fun.  At first I wasn't too sure what it was going to be like.. Knowing me, I prefer to speak. I use sign too, but I still usually end up using my voice while I'm also signing. But tonight, I managed to keep my voice turned off. This dinner was for ASL students' benefit, to use their ASL skills they've learned, without using their voice, and having the opportunity to interact with deaf individuals that were invited and showed up. Three of us that are deaf showed up. It was quite fun! At first, I felt a bit awkward being there. I've always been a pretty shy person, but I do want to come out of my shell. Only way to do that is to get out there, and socialize!  It was just a really fun experience, and I most definitely will like to attend future ASL Silent Dinners. I think there's another one in May so hopefully I'll be able to attend again. Just fun seeing the ASL students communicating in sign with one another and having a conversation. Even the waitress that waited on us was an ASL student at a local high school, so even she got plenty of practice tonight!




Off topic: I did pick up on a "new" sound with my implant after I left work.  Emergency vehicle sirens. I was pulling to a stop in the left turn lane at a red light, and up ahead an ambulance and a fire truck was approaching the intersection and making a right turn. I heard the sirens with just the implant on! I've heard sirens with the hearing aid in the past (but only when the emergency vehicles are really close by). I didn't hear them until they were right at the intersection making the turn. It wasn't very loud, kind of quiet really.  Not as high pitched either, but that's just how it is with my implant at this time.  I was at a wedding last night too, and they had bells for the guests to ring for the bride and groom.  The bell is high pitched with the hearing aid, but not as high with the implant. It's just fun to find different things that make sounds and compare them with the hearing aid and with the implant.

No comments: