Friday, October 17, 2014


 I now have two cochlear implants, bilateral bionic ears! Now I just have to wait until the 28th to get the new one activated and get my Naida CI processors programmed. Can't wait!

We left late Monday morning and made it to Denver around 4ish. Got checked into the hotel and hangout for a bit. Visited with an aunt and cousin, then we all had dinner at Piccolos. Mm tasty dinner! I sure was stuffed when we finished dinner. Made a quick stop at King Soopers for a few things, then headed back to the hotel for the night.

Got woken up bright and early, ew. I got dressed, joined mom and stepdad downstairs and had a small bowl of yogurt. Went back up to room for a bit, then we headed out. Drove round for a bit until stepdad dropped me and mom off at Swedish Hospital area. Mom and I went up to the CI clinic, I checked in, and we waited... And waited.... And waited even more. An apprentice audiologist called me back and it was decided I didn't need a new hearing test, since my last  one was in August and I hadn't noticed any changes in hearing. Back to the waiting room and waited some more. 

Surgeon's assistance called me back and led me to an exam room. I answered her questions, then she left. I waited even more until Dr. Kelsall came in. We talked, discussed the plan, that sort of thing. I didn't have any questions for him to answer since I had already done all this once. He did say he would try to put the new implant in a similar spot as my left, try to make them symmetrical, but no guarantees. Fine, that's understandable. Then I was taken to the surgery scheduler's office. Was given a copy of the paperwork I had filled out, post op instructions, and prescriptions. Then I was sent on my way. 

Mom and I headed over to the hospital for the pre-admit/pre-op appointment. Checked in, we quickly checked out the gift shop, and then I was led to an office. Handed over drivers license and insurance cards, answered questions, yada yada yada. Then was led to pre-admit clinic. Waited a bit, nurse came and got me. She is a bit hard of hearing herself, and was completely understanding of my need to be able to lip read her. Went over medical history, confirming I am getting a right cochlear implant, that sort of thing. Then she prepped for. Blood draw. I warned her that I could be a tricky stick. She checked my right arm first and didn't see anything. Moved onto the left and she found a vein. She stuck me, which hurt! Two vials of blood taken, then I was done.

Mom and I walked over to the Walgreens inside the other end of a medical building on the campus to get the scripts filled.  Mom called stepdad to see where he was, he was still getting his haircut. Alrighty then, mom and I walked over to The Copper Pot across the street for lunch, since we were starved! Had some southern grilled cheese sandwiches and split a Mac and cheese. Lunch was excellent! More phone calls, stepdad now on his way. Mom and I went back across the street to wait. Got picked up and we went back to the hotel for a bit. Hung out in downtown Denver for a while with the cousin, and ended up having dinner at Fado's Irish Pub. Shepherds pie was awesome, mmm! Then back to the hotel for the night.

Wednesday morning, bright and early, mom got me up. I got ready and played with my iPad until it was time to head over to the hospital. Drove to the hospital and went up to the third floor. I got checked in and didn't have to wait for too long until a nurse got me. I followed her to the pre-op area, and got changed. Answered more questions, another nurse took vitals and got an IV started in my right hand. She made a bit of a mess of my hand ice, and both nurses tried to figure out how to best secure the line, since it was kind of a funky place to stick the IV. She mentioned it looked dangerous, where it was! Haha. They got it secured as best as they could, and I had to lay back for a bit as I was feel queasy. Started feeling better again and was sat up again. Mom and stepdad were brought back and we hung out. Kelsall stopped by for a few minutes, wrote his initials on my right ear, then he was on his way. Anesthesiologist came in, spoke with us, then went to check on the OR. An OR nurse came and got me, and I was taken to the OR. I scooched over to the table, and the nurses got me all strapped down while the anesthesiologist worked her magic. I was out!


marked and ready to go!

Woke up in recovery some time later, head and ear hurting, and still feeling drowsy. Nurse gave me an injection for the pain, andu dozed in and out for a bit. Then I was given some ice chips, oh that was nice. Also noticed a sock was off my right foot. Was helped to the bathroom, then into the wheeled recliner to be taken to the post recovery area. Mom and stepdad were brought back. Nurse went over instructions with mom, and I asked if I was getting a copy of the x-ray. She told my stepdad where to go to get the X-ray and he went and got it! Should be interesting to see this X-ray. Then he went to get the truck while I changed back into my clothes and was wheeled down. Pre-op nurse even came by to check on me real quick too, which was nice of her. Was wheeled down to stepdad's truck, loaded in, and off to the hotel we went. Off and on I would doze off some more, feel like I would be getting sick, meh.  Mom was concerned and kept watching over me, making sure I was ok.  Aunt sent over some munchies with my stepdad when he went to go get something for him and mom to eat. I tried a saltine cracker, ick.  Mouth was much too dry, the cracker just crumbled everywhere in my mouth. I eventually did have a few small bites of ice cream, then I crashed out after taking more Dramamine to help with nausea.  Rest of the night was fine, got up only once to use bathroom.  Played with iPad for a bit while I waited for the vicodin to kick in, then went back to sleep.

heading back to the hotel
Thursday morning, up and at them.  I slowly got up and dressed, packed up my stuff, and hung out.  Eventually we all loaded up the truck and checked out, and were on the road again.  We drove straight home, no stops anywhere. Yay, home sweet home!  well, it was mom and stepdad's home but home nonetheless. Mom helped me get the headwrap off, and oh did that feel good!  Ear was free and able to breathe.  Had some Wisconsin cheese soup, which was pretty tasty, and some crackers with peanut butter.  Eventually mom did take me to my apartment, as I really wanted to be in my home, camping out in my recliner, full control of my TV, that sort of thing. I can always text mom if  I need anything. Yep, nice to be at home where I can be comfortable and relax.  Even popped in the disc from Radiology with the X-rays, and they're pretty cool to look at.

on the road!

free of the headwrap! 

I did finally get some homework done for the online computer class today, and will do bits of other homework here and there.  Have a review paper I need to do for psychology, which I should get started on.  I have the article I want to review saved, just need to read through it, make notes and that sort of thing.

Not feeling too bad.  Still some minor pains and aches from the right ear/head area, which is to be expected.  Have had tinnitus 24/7, no surprise there.  I kind of figured I'd have all this tinnitus going on.  For a while last night it sounded like a tea kettle was whistling, that was fun.  So far so good, just taking it easy, taking the antibiotics every 6 hours, and the vicodin as needed.  Can't wait until October 28th to get the right implant activated!

No comments: